About us

In 1911 the library was built and furnished by public subscription under the direction of the Davis Bachelor Girls. Located at 117 F Street. It served as the first branch of the Yolo County Free Library and operated until May 1969. After the present Davis Branch of the Yolo County Library was built on 14th Street, the historic building was sold to the City of Davis and used for various community purposes. In 1988 the building was moved to its present location and restored by the City of Davis.

Hattie (Harriet Elisha) Weber was the first paid librarian in Davisville. In 1906 she began volunteering as librarian of the Davisville Free Library, then housed in the Buena Vista Hotel. On November 17, 1910 she began receiving a salary as librarian when the Davisville Free Library became the first branch of the Yolo County Free Library. She saw the library grow from a circulation of 200 books in 1906 to a circulation of 23,144 books in 1953 when she retired after a long rewarding career. Known as Miss Hattie by young and old alike, she was always helpful in teaching youngsters to read. Read more....

 

Volunteer Staff

  • Director: Dennis Dingemans
  • Office and Collections Manager: Stella Dinger
  • Exhibits Coordinator and Researcher: Merrily Dupree
  • Asst. Collections Manager and Asst. Exhibits Researcher: Margie Blake
  • Docent: Kate Morss
  • Assistant Director: Adrian Gabriel
  • Collections Manager: Stella Dinger
  • Librarian, Senior Docent: Roberta Stevenson
  • Researcher, Exhibit Asst. Coodinator, Docent: Merrily Dupree
  • Tour Director: Gerri Adler
  • Special Events Coordinator: Mary Ann Harrison
  • Special Events Assistants: Margaret Hill
    Lorna Robles
  • Docents: Hazen Kazaks
    Kate Morss
    Margie Blake
  • Past Directors:
    Phyllis Wilbur Marden Haig (Founding 1992 to 2009)
    Jim Becket (2009-12)